Opinion of tools
Name of the tool
Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
Positive comments about the tool
The strengths of KPIs when implemented in the New Tredegar Regeneration Scheme and Baglan Energy Park Phase 2 were considered to be:
• The regular use of KPIs to evaluate the performance of the Partnership ensured that the projects stated values became practice and were not left as a well meaning, but little used document.
• Regular use of the KPIs also ensured that problems were dealt with immediately rather than becoming issues at a later date.
• The recurring use of KPIs in the construction industry makes comparison straightforward and more reliable.
• KPIs are regularly checked, this ensures that attention is continually focused on relevant points e.g. on a clients specifications or on environmental targets.
• KPIs can show past performance and allow assessments to be made about what needs to be done to improve the situation.
• KPIs allow performance to be continually observed, e.g. if accidents happen continuously month after month, KPIs call help reveal a pattern.
Negative comments about the tool
Weakness of KPIs as a result of their implementation in the New Tredegar Regeneration Scheme and Baglan Energy Park Phase 2 were identified as being:
• It can be easy to make KPIs too complicated,
• KPI information can become out of date when not regularly updated.
• If there are other problems on site it is often hard to remember to do a KPI assessment